Thursday, May 1, 2014

On invisible disability

This is for blogging against disablism post.
There is a great deal of pain involved in being disabled. You get excluded from all sorts of social opportunities. But with an invisible disability (I grew up with undiagnosed Asperger's) there is additional pain involved because nobody ever tells you WHY. WHY you are picked last for every team sport, WHY you aren't invited to parties, WHY you can't date. NONE of that is ever explained, all you get are the jokers and the bullies.

It took me until I was 28 to live that down and get married, and it took until I was 30 before I had the diagnosis that turned my life around.

So I guess the moral of the story is, get your kids screened. The knowledge you give them about themselves is invaluable.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Oustside The Asylum by Ted Seeber is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at http://outsidetheaustisticasylum.blogspot.com.